In the last article we saw how a piece of land influences your thoughts and actions according to its auspiciousness and in-auspiciousness, in this article we will see another story showing importance of land selection in vastu. Selection of the right plot is as equally important as selecting a compatible life partner.
This is a an excerpt taken from “Madhwa vijay grantha” of “Madhwa saint Raghavendra swamy of Mantralayam” in Kurnool district of Andhra-pradesh which lies on the banks of Tungabhadra river. Raghavendra swamy is a madhwa saint who is known as the incarnation of bhakta pralhad born to demon Hiranyakashyap who was killed by Narsimha avtara of Lord Vishnu.
Raghavendra swamy was directed by Goddess lakshmi to choose mantralayam for his samadhi sthana after construction her temple at the entrance and naming her “Moolambika”, Lakshmi devi told rayaru that bhakta prahlad did big yagya to please all gods and goddess and after that in dwaparyuga pandavas did ashwamedha yagya on that plot or land due to which it has become very pious.
In Ashwamedha yagya a horse is set free to roam by the king doing the yagya, whoever stops the horse has to fight the king. Anusalva who stopped the horse when pandavas did ashwamedha yagya had to fight with pandavas, pandavas could not win him easily and Arjun inspite of being a great warrior was not able to defeat Anusalva as Anusalva’s chariot was standing at the place where Bhakta prahlad had performed yagya, Shri krishna knew this and he told Arjuna to take his chariot behind which naturally led Anusalva to shift his Chariot, the moment he did that pandavas won the fight as Anusalva surrendered and the ashwamedha yagya was completed.
Lakshmi devi told Raghavendra swamy that the land has many good qualities and is very pious due to many yagyas being conducted on it and he should choose this land for his samadhi near the banks of tungabhadra river. Today Mantralayam is the samadhi place of shri Raghavendra swamy where many people go and get punya and isthartha (desired) by the blessings of Shri Raghavendra swamy.
The above story is another example of importance of land selection in Vastu shastra. Plot selection is done on the basis of many factors like.
- Size of land – Here Ratio of length and breadth is important. For rectangular plots the length should not be twice the breadth but mayamatam a great classical treatise on vastu by sage maya prescribes 1:1.25 ratio for ideal plots. Extensions to already existing plots must be done carefully as it can hamper growth of the owner and spell doom if plots are extended towards south or west.
- Shape of land – Rectangular and Square plots or preferred, the other irregular shapes can be corrected with the help of vastu expert. Triangular plots are highly dangerous, all other plots except rectangular and square are to be avoided for human dwelling.
- Direction of plot – The main directions East and North are considered most auspicious, any land facing these directions can be considered for the best results after checking and satisfying other conditions.
- Soil – The color of the soil, odour and fertilitiy etc is very important.
- Elevation – Its elevation and depression of land is a point worth noting as it decides the energy flow on the plot. A land should be elevated towards South and West which means slope towards north and east is most ideal.
- Surroundings – The surrounding areas need to be checked for auspicious and inauspicious signs which can affect the progress of owner of the land. A small plot between two big plots may not be auspicious, corner plots are to be purchased with caution after checking the direction of roads from it. Vedha/veethi shula etc need to be checked before selection of any site.
- Ayadi Shadvarga calculation – Certain formulae known as ayadi shadvarga is recommended by classical texts of vastu when building a residence or temple. This formulae are said to ensure health, wealth and prosperity to people staying there.
I do not think that any vastu websites must have demonstrated the importance of site selection or importance of plot selection by the way of relating to pramanas as given above. There is much more to be checked than just the directions in vastu shashtra. For any queries or consultations related to selection of auspicious plot or construction of house or commercial premises according to vastu get in touch with Pandit Ashish Desai.